Zucchini & Peppers Braised in Olive Oil
My friend Ugur is a master magician when it comes to cooking and presenting food. Her family roots come from the Agean Islands, thus she cooks many delicious olive oil based vegetable dishes even uncommon among the Turks. I used to cook zucchini in a similar way (olive oil, herbs, etc.), however, it never tasted this good. I think what made the difference is the pine nuts she adds after it is cooked, and the colorful (red, yellow and green) peppers that visually enhances the dish as well as the taste. Enjoy!
- 1 lb zucchini
- 6 peppers (red, yellow, green mixed)
- 2 medium onions, cut in half and sliced
- 5-6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- salt to taste
- Peel and cut zucchini into slices 1/4 inch thick
- Wash, core the peppers removing the seeds. Cut into slices ¼ inch thick
- In a heavy saucepan put oil and onions. Sauté onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Add peppers, zucchini, water, salt and sugar. When it starts to boil, lower the heat. Simmer over low heat for about 25-30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat. Transfer into a serving dish. Sprinkle pine nuts, dill and mint over it. Serve at room temperature.
Afitey Olsun! Bon Appetit!