This is a recipe from my sister Nuvit's friend Ahu who lives in Istanbul.
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- ½ cup rice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 roasted red peppers chopped
- ¼ cup dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2-3 green onions finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh dills finely chopped
- 4-5 green or black olives (optional as garnish)
- 1 small cucumber peeled, cut into slices or lengthwise (optional as garnish)
Place lentils in 3 cups of boiling water. Let it simmer over low heat until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain lentils in a strainer. Place rice in 2 cups of boiling water. Let it simmer over low heat until rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Drain rice in a strainer. Place olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chopped onions, saute onions until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Place all ingredients except chopped fresh dills, olives(optional) and cucumbers(optional) in a large bowl, mix with a spoon. Transfer on to a serving dish. Sprinkle fresh dill over the salad. You can garnish with olives and cucumbers or other vegetables.
Afiyet Olsun! Bon Appetit!