- 2 lbs leeks
- 2 medium carrots
- 5-6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarse size #4 bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Remove tough outer leaves from leeks. Cut off the roots. Cut into ½ inch slices. Wash several times with plenty of water to remove all soil. Drain well. Peel and cut carrots into slices 1/8 inch thick.
- In a heavy saucepan put oil, leeks and carrots. Cover the pot and sauté them over medium to low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste, bulgur, water, salt and sugar. Simmer over low heat for 30-45 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add lemon juice, remove from heat. Add salt and water if necessary. It should be in a sauce but not soupy. Serve at room temperature.